Here’s the rational for ‘yes’:
- It’s basically a once-in-a-lifetime chance.
- We likely won’t be living in DC for the next inauguration.
- We might make some good professional connections (should we attend the Iowa ball).
- We might get free tickets (if we attend the West-Southwest ball).
The rational for ‘no’:
- Unless we go for the West-Southwest ball (with the possibility of free tickets), the price tag could reach $450 per person (tux rental = $$$).
- Chances of moving back to Iowa at this point (re: professional connections) is slim.
- One of D’s internet pals described inaugural balls as “prom for d!ckwads,” which seems pretty believable.
D also offered this rhetoric: “Why is this a once in a lifetime opportunity? Is it because Obama is a once in a lifetime president? And if that’s the case, why would that change the quality of the ball? If we all continue to be stellar people doing stellar things, I honestly doubt this will be the last time in our lifetime that we will have the opportunity to attend a presidential ball.”
Good point. But what say you?
And, as a follow-up to the last poll, it seems that D will rent out his apartment over the inaugural week, to a friend’s sister. No price-gauging here!